"Do not follow where the path may lead; Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, December 2, 2010

      Today's discussion in class made me think a lot about the teaching profession and what it takes to be a good teacher.  I've always known that I love kids and am deeply passionate about working with them, but that isn't necessarily enough.  I am pretty sure I want to be a teacher, but I am now better prepared about what factors to consider other than the fact that I love kids.
      A good teacher should be optimistic about her workplace and be very well-motivated to trudge through difficult times with her particular school or district.  I sometimes wonder whether I am a positive enough person to handle this.  I also think about what kind of environment I want to teach in.  Public or private? What grade?  What state?  Urban or rural?  How diverse?  
      For some of these questions, I have no idea what my answer is.  I am fairly certain I want to work with younger kids, but I don't know how young.  I wonder if I have the patience to put up with 6 year olds or if I would be better working with 4th or 5th graders.  I also consider whether or not I have the courage to work in a challenging environment such as a diverse school, a school in an impoverished area, etc.  I want to be a good teacher, and diversity and challenges and things like that really excite me, but I want to be sure that I am capable of success before I make my decision.
      I also found our discussion about teacher status and salary to be very interesting.  Since I've wanted to be a teacher, I've thought a lot about the money issue.  Most of me thinks I shouldn't worry about something like that and it shouldn't matter.  However, there is that practical side of me that wonders if it will truly be ok.  I want to have a family and multiple kids, so I need to think about supporting them as well.  My dad is very practical and has given me a hard time about the salary issue, but in the end, he said all that matters is that I wake up every morning and am happy about going to work.  
      As far as the status of teaching, I've definitely experienced negative situations.  I've had family members ask me why I am not going to be a doctor or lawyer or something like that instead of teaching, and those questions always seem funny to me.  I don't want to be a doctor...isn't that a good enough reason?!  I don't care if I am "smart enough" to be a doctor...there are probably tons of intelligent people who COULD be doctors, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be.  Teaching definitely isn't getting as much recognition as it deserves, because it is a very important profession.  To have such an impact on children's lives is a very serious matter, and teachers should be given more respect for their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment