"Do not follow where the path may lead; Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Holler If You Hear Me

      In my teacher story, Holler If You Hear Me by Gregory Michie, there are many segments of the book that are told from students' points of view.  For me, it is these segments that make up the true "heart" of the book; they are the most insightful and most important passages and they successfully convey the overall theme.
      One particularly meaningful segment from a student's perspective is Paloma's story found in chapter 6.  Paloma describes what kind of teachers, in her opinion, are most needed by students.  She stresses that our society needs teachers who have a true passion and desire to make a difference in the lives of students.  She explains that students need to have teachers whom they trust and by whom they feel respected.  Basically, she says that teachers should listen to and believe in their students, and they should truly hear their students' voices.
      As I was reading Paloma's words, I thought about the teachers that I have had in the past - some that fit her description and some that definitely do not.  If I do decide to be a teacher, Paloma's version of a good teacher is exactly the kind of teacher I hope to be.  I have a true desire to help kids and to try my best to make a difference in their lives, whether it be great or small.  I want to be an important part in children's lives and I want to provide support and encouragement for them that some of them might not be getting from anyone else.  I would want my students to trust me and to come to me when no one else listens to them, and I want them to know that I respect them as people.
      Paloma is definitely on to something here.  She's right -these are the kinds of teachers we so desperately need.  These are the kinds of teachers all of us should strive to be.  It is what kids need most, and it is our job to make sure they get it.  Teachers are an important authoritative figure in children's lives, whether or not the kids actually feel that this is true.  The fact is that as kids, we spend a significant amount of time with our teachers, and they have an effect on us even when we don't realize it.  That is why quality teachers are so crucial in society.  People who want to be teachers need to realize the responsibility that they are taking on, and they need to have the kids' best interest in mind.  It is nearly impossible for children to learn from someone who clearly does not respect them and from someone whom they feel has no interest in listening to them.  They will automatically and subconsciously shut them out if this the vibe they get.  Teachers need to let their students know that they are on their side and are there for them, and this is what I will strive to be as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment